Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Tapering madness

Total: 9 miles in 70: 35, or 7:50 pace
Details: AM--4 in 31:35; PM--5 in 39:00


Did two easy runs, following Pfitzinger's tapering plan. I can't tell at all if this week I'll be running too much, too little, or just the right amount. All I can do is trust the plan--as long as my body tells me something drastically different. Of course, the problem is that I, like most (inexperienced?) marathoners in their last week before the race, do too much listening--to my body, to fellow runners, to weather reports--for any sign that could mean something, for any indication that something might be wrong, for any suggestion that could lead to an advantage.

Just as our bodies slow down and rest up, our minds go into overdrive, as if to try to burn the calories our bodies did for the past 18+ weeks. For sure, I'm looking forward to the days after the race to rest more and to eat more. But since I don't have another race to train for in the foreseeable future, I'm looking forward even more to thinking less about running and thinking more about other more important things. Not that I won't keep running, but I'll do it breathing the fresh air of normalcy.

In short, I can't wait for Sunday.

No comments: