Wednesday, October 04, 2006

3:00 is such an arbitrary number

Total: 8 miles in 62 minutes; 7:45 pace
Details: I planned to do a 14-miler, but the trail I was on was flooded out, so I had to turn back after about 4 miles. The muscle fatigue/ache I experienced yesterday was gone, so I was happy.

This morning, it got colder during my run. It was around 65 when I started, and then towards the end, there was a cool wind that brought some rain and it felt like 55 or so. Of course, I preferred the the cool breeze and made me think that it'd really help my sub-3:00 attempt in a few weeks if the temperature was 55 as opposed to 65.

While I do really want to achieve a sub-3 time and it has been a big motivation for me to train hard, I have to admit that it doesn't mean as much as perhaps I'd like it to mean. After all, sub-3 on a flat course like Chicago in great conditions doesn't necessarily mean a better run than a 3:05 on a hillier course on a warmer day. Also, why should running a marathon in 10799 seconds mean a greater sense of achievement than running it in 10801 seconds? 3:00 is a nice round figure to shoot for, but really, it's pretty arbitrary. The fact that very few can do it makes it a worthy target and an achievement to be celebrated and congratulated for sure, but I don't think it qualifies as some sort of an exclusive club. There's no real appreciable difference between a runner with a 2:59:30 PR and a 3:00:30 PR. The only difference may have been raceday temps.

No comments: