Monday, October 09, 2006

Rethinking stretching

Total: 8 miles in 63:30, or 7:56 pace
Details: Tried to take it really easy and run 8:00 miles. The cool air felt good.


Last night, and also this morning after the run, I stretched a little for the first time in a long time. I've always hated stretching, and since many people in the running community don't recommend stretching because it could increase the possibility of injury, so I was happy to comply. But this article I read a few days ago made me rethink stretching. Basically, it said to avoid pre-exercise stretching, don't stretch to the point of discomfort, and that 4 reps of about 15-second stretches to the major muscle groups was enough. Reading that even this minimal amount of gentle stretching could strengthen muscles as well as prevent injury made me try a bit of stretching.

And I must admit, I liked it. The reason I've always hated stretching is that it hurt--far more than running fast. But now that I know that it doesn't have to be "no pain, no gain" I think I'll try to do it regularly after runs.

No comments: