Friday, September 29, 2006

Running history--Part 1

Here's a history of my running "career".

In 1990-1991, while in Ann Arbor, MI for grad school, I began to run for the first time in my life--other than on basketball courts, football fields, and baseball diamonds. I actually ran quite a bit--though the numbers escape me because I didn't keep a log--and thought I'd run the Chicago marathon. But an ill-fated participation in an all-day basketball tournament injured my knee somehow, and I had to abandon training. Not just that, I just stopped running. Period.

I still have think some what-ifs about that year because I was probably in the best shape of my life: young, lean (under 130 pounds), and strong. I remember doing lots of long runs on the hills of Ann Arbor and one day I did a 10-mile run on a 1/10 of a mile indoor track in 59:30.

But the fact that I didn't start running again after my knee felt better meant that I really didn't think of running as an important part of my life, that I didn't know enough about the sport to care (or care enough about the sport to know).

More later on how my running career resumes in 1997.

No comments: