Thursday, September 28, 2006

A promise kept (sort of)

Total: 10 miles in 1:17:23, or 7:44 pace
Details: 5 miles out in 38:34, 5 miles back in 38:49.

Not quite as slow as I was hoping for, but did feel like a recovery run. I should be okay for the 20-miler tomorrow.

Today, a short treatise on running shoes. I'm running these days in Brooks Radius 05. I've put 544 miles on them, but they still feel good. I'll run at least 600 miles before relegating them to the occasional short, bad-weather-day runs. I have another pair of Radius 05 that I'll train in during October, but my race-day shoes are resting comfortably in my closet: Asics Speedstar 2.

Asics is my favorite brand of running shoes. I immediately noticed their great out-of-the-box comfort when I bought my first pair of Asics--GT2020--back in 1997. Since then, I've run in Cumulus, 1000 series, and DS-Trainers. Even though they're all slightly different types of shoes, my feet/legs have enjoyed them all.

That doesn't mean that I won't try other shoes--especially when the price is right. I've also run in New Balances, Sauconys, and Brooks, and found them to be almost as good. I do think I have easily satisfied feet compared to most runners. I don't run in Nikes because 1) they tend to be a bit too narrow for me, and 2) I'd rather support smaller, more running-focused companies. And I would find it very difficult to pay more than $80 for any pair of running shoes. I enjoy running and realize the importance of good shoes, but there comes a point where running can become financially irresponsible. For me, $80 for running shoes is one such point.

No comments: