Friday, September 29, 2006

Too much, too fast?

This is the last week before beginning a 3-week taper, so I thought I'd make this an extra hard week. So this was the long run for this week, done a day early because I'll have less time tomorrow morning for a long run

Total: 20 miles in 2:24:00; 7:12 pace overall
Details: 1st 5 miles in 38:10, 2nd 5 miles in 37:50, 3rd 5 miles in 35:23, 4th 5 miles in 32:37
The weather was perfect for a long run: cloudy and between 44-50 degrees the whole time. I'm glad that I had my running gloves to start the run, but felt a bit warm in my long-sleeve shirt the second half of the run.

I'm glad I did this workout because it tells me that I can go faster than MP for miles 16-20. So my confidence and ego are boosted, but am I taxing my legs too much by running my long runs too fast?

With today's 20 miles, I'm up to 86 miles for this week, which is 5 miles more than my previous weekly high. Not only that, in what can only be called a purely ego-stroking move, I plan to do a slow 14-mile recovery run tomorrow to make it an even 100 miles for the week. I think my body can handle it (it feels okay right now), especially since I'll start tapering. But if my body tells me that it should rest and just get some extra sleep, I'll scratch the run.

No comments: